Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
19 November, 2017, 06:02:11 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

WELCOME TO THE ONLINE FORUMS FOR THE BELL'S PALSY ASSOCIATION | Charity Reg. 1094039

+  Bells Palsy Support Forums
|-+  General
| |-+  GENERAL DISCUSSION - Open To All
| | |-+  How long before all the symptoms are out
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How long before all the symptoms are out  (Read 1965 times)
Deeb
« on: 11 September, 2010, 12:53:07 pm »

Hi - how long does it take for all the symptoms to manifest themselves. Yesterday I could partially blink and could close my eye, today no blink and no ability to close the eye, which is really irritating and means I will have to tape my eye up tonight.

Not having a good day today to be honest, can't understand what I have done to deserve this, been crying which is a nightmare as no tears from my left eye, just watching big brother and one of the old contestants catch phrases was " I like blinking I do" so do I and if only I could!!!

I am on day 3 or 4 not sure what you count as day 1 - when I lost my taste buds or when I started the paralysis - am I nearly at the end of the symptoms coming out?
« Last Edit: 11 September, 2010, 01:02:46 pm by Deeb » Logged
debbie1056
Forum God

Fully recovered

« Reply #1 on: 11 September, 2010, 01:09:34 pm »

Hi
BP effects everyone differently.... l had a terrible pain behind my ear (day 1), started to notice my face was not aligned and diagnoised with BP (day 2) eye did not blink but always did shut (day 3). 
All you can do at this early stage is rest, rest and rest.  Take good care of your eye, tape it down during sleeping hours but put some lubrication in it firs, during daytime keep lots of drops going in the eye.
Regards
Debbie
pj
« Reply #2 on: 11 September, 2010, 02:51:12 pm »

Sorry you're having a bad day Deeb. Everyone is different so it's hard to say when it'll be as bad as it gets. For myself, I carried in working for the first 4 days as didn't realise , naively, that I'd be ill with bp- I thought it was just paralysis and a wonky face. This is why you must really try and look after yourself and keep warm, rested and supported. Try and eat good food and drink well and slow down.
I felt the worst of symptoms for me came on after a few days.. But everyone is different. Some have pain and some don't for example.
So - it's a rotten thing you've got. You will recover, but at the moment you are poorly and need looking after.
You take care and don't worry about coming on here and letting it all out. We've all been thru it and are still making our way thru it.
Love pj

Deeb
« Reply #3 on: 11 September, 2010, 03:11:45 pm »

Thanks guys - you will never know how much support these boards are giving me.

I seem to be up and down emotionally and really am taking it easy, I seem to be sleeping a lot which is natures way I guess.

Anyway thanks again - baby steps.....
jacqui newcastle
« Reply #4 on: 11 September, 2010, 07:48:41 pm »

Hello Deeb,

I am speaking on behalf of my partner - simon, who is sitting right next to me now, he is in his 3rd week now and at the moment can't move any part of the left side of his face what so ever, however he can close his eye three quarters of the way.  When he sleeps the eye does shut on its own, it took around 5 -7 days for complete paralysis - so dont worry at all this is normal and every case can be different.  Simon has a few things to suggest to make you more comfortable; try and wear sunglasses when out and about this will keep the wind out of your eye as well as the glare of the sun (if we get any sun lol).  Carry eye drops where ever you go as this helps with dry eyes.  Try and take each day as it comes it will ease, take time off, eat well and sleep lots.  You will get better, simon is still waiting but it just takes time - we have found this frustrating and painful too.  One thing is for sure this forum is fantastic and puts us at ease.  For some reason no one seems to understand unless you have BP. Take care and keep in touch, xx
Jet
Forum God

Bilateral BP, recovered! Caused by Sarcoidosis

« Reply #5 on: 12 September, 2010, 08:33:23 am »

Deeb,

Feeling up and down is perfectly normal and I think your symptoms are reaching their peak.  Just rest assured you'll soon start the climb back uphill.  Funny isn't it, you don't realise how much you appreciate being able to blink or smile until you can't do it!

Sarcoidosis medical info: http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Sarcoidosis.htm

Sarcoidosis support and information: www.uksarcoid.org

My Sarcoidosis journey thread: http://www.bellspalsy.org.uk/support-forums/index.php?topic=781.0
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length