Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
02 September, 2014, 12:22:02 am
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

WELCOME TO THE ONLINE FORUMS FOR THE BELL'S PALSY ASSOCIATION | Charity Reg. 1094039

+  Bells Palsy Support Forums
|-+  General
| |-+  GENERAL DISCUSSION - Open To All
| | |-+  a weird question: How has Bells Palsy IMPROVED your life??????????
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: a weird question: How has Bells Palsy IMPROVED your life??????????  (Read 7903 times)
ghapfml
« on: 30 September, 2010, 01:05:06 am »

2 weeks into this, i'm no longer suicidal at the possibility of never again working in acting/modeling, but I'm still struggling with pain/anxiety/sleepless nights.  My friends say Stay Positive--so I'm posting this in hopes you will share your answers.  1.  Bells has already begun improving my personality...while watching DeNiro & Hoffman in "Flawless", i noticed The New Me has far more compassion for ill people.  2.  Before Bells, i'd get sad over things like a bad hair day or money/work issues or my weight.  Now i will be content if i have a day without pain.  And if i recover fully, i'll never complain about my looks again.  3.  B4, I'd been contemplating divorce; but my husband's care and acceptance have rekindled love.  4.  Last but not least, I have perfected an impression of Billy Idol's Rebel Yell (wow, that's dating myself!).  Please share how Bells has IMPROVED your life, i would love to see both serious & funny.  GHAPFML= God Has A Plan For My Life, so maybe this Bells experience will end in something good? Thank you xoxo
DebbieL
« Reply #1 on: 30 September, 2010, 02:18:09 am »

Great thread, thanks for starting it!  Ok, #1  I have met wonderful people because of BP, both online and in person.  Quite a few of us on the BPIS forum have had several get-togethers, what fun!  I'm meeting a lady in the Lake District next year when we come over to visit my husband's family (he's from Saddleworth, Lancashire). 

#2  Unlike your wonderful husband, my exhusband was quite the butthead about the change in my appearance.  Dealing with it, and dealing with the illnesses and subsequent deaths of both parents gave me the guts to divorce him.  I worked hard to rebuild my confidence, and now have been married for 6 years to a great Brit! 

#3  I've had the incentive to do online research because of BP, and now I can google with the best of them, even at the age of 57. 

#4  Like you, I find myself having more patience and understanding for people with illnesses or disabilities.  Sometimes an illness can make us wiser and kinder.  That's a good thing!

Thanks again for starting this thread, what a wise lady you are!
Jet
Forum God

Bilateral BP, recovered! Caused by Sarcoidosis

« Reply #2 on: 30 September, 2010, 11:31:35 am »

Like Debbie, I've met some great people here and also added over on Facebook (how ironic it's called Face book haha).

#2 My other half has been really supportive through all these months.  My elder children are teenagers and they have helped me no end and finally, my baby who was 7 months when my BP started.  If it hadn't been for her I would of given up, she forced me to keep going.

#3 I'm not afraid to question Doctors and Consultants, nor am I afraid to demand further treatment.  I have gained confidence in that respect.

#4 I have great empathy towards people who are ill or disabled.  I rarely judged people by their looks anyway and I'm even less likely to now

#5 I'm the self appointed Sarcoidosis expert here Cheesy

Sarcoidosis medical info: http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Sarcoidosis.htm

Sarcoidosis support and information: www.uksarcoid.org

My Sarcoidosis journey thread: http://www.bellspalsy.org.uk/support-forums/index.php?topic=781.0
debbie1056
Forum God

Fully recovered

« Reply #3 on: 30 September, 2010, 02:25:46 pm »

I think BP has taught me
1 - to slow down a bit and not try to live life in the fast line.
2 - To take each day as it comes
3 - To realise there are people much worse off than my self
4 - To be more tolerant with others
5 - Beauty is only skin deep
6 - To give back some of the help and advice l was given from this site espically Bluejay who was my rock at the outset of BP
7 - To love the one you are with and that has stuck with you though the horrible times of BP
leigh
Forum Senior

« Reply #4 on: 30 September, 2010, 02:33:18 pm »

Good afternoon Debbie,

You are so right thanks for that lovely post, we are so luckey to have you as one of our forum gods.

have a nice day Leigh
debbie1056
Forum God

Fully recovered

« Reply #5 on: 30 September, 2010, 02:43:09 pm »

Hi Leigh
Long time no see hope you are well take care
Debbie
janb
Full Timer

« Reply #6 on: 30 September, 2010, 04:02:31 pm »

Thank you Debbie, your points 2 - 7 are my sentiments entirely, luckily as a 72 year old I don't have to worry about slowing down as I've been retired for 20 years, so my first point would be I am so lucky I don't have to go to work, and my family are all grown up.
I really admire how all the working mothers on here cope with looking after their children, especially the new Mums.

My best wishes to you all!
JanB
leigh
Forum Senior

« Reply #7 on: 30 September, 2010, 04:09:32 pm »

Hi Debbie,

I am very well thanks, sorry I haven't been round much just latley, now things are getting better with my daughter I will be able to give the forum more time.

I know what you mean about Bluejay being your rock , he was the is  for me, him, Ruth, Jean27 and many more guys who help me though the early days.

Take care Leigh
ghapfml
« Reply #8 on: 30 September, 2010, 04:54:26 pm »

THANKS TO EVERYONE for answering my question, i will be copying down those that apply to me and reading the list every time the despair gets overwhelming.  DebbieL i really appreciated your answering so quickly, it is difficult being New on a chat because one always worries that nobody cares to answer your question.  What you said regarding your #3 reminded me how lucky we are to have the internet---think of the Bell's sufferers who couldn't/can't immediately google the internet to find research, or join a supportive community like this awesome one!  And Jet #3, I wish i could end up with your #3 about confidence questioning doctors, that is an area i have had some big problems with and one of the reasons i struggle these days is because of a very bad experience with the first eye MD who didn't care enough to go into detail with the eyecare.  Debbie1056 I totally agree with your one about remembering there are those much worse off than myself---"had the blues cuz I had no shoes, till on the street met a man with no feet". 
     Despite sleeping pills, i still woke at 4am with eye pain (due to no bell's phenomenon for me)& anxiety, but thought up new one: Bells improved my life by forcing me to learn how to reduce Stress, which will then lead to better health and happiness for my future.  I just got a Yoga DVD. Smiley 

MrsNewMommy
Regular

BP from pregnancy 10/9/09; now 99.9% recovered

« Reply #9 on: 01 October, 2010, 02:01:47 am »

Here's my list of how BP has led to some serious self-improvement for me:

1) I no longer sweat the petty things (but I still pet the sweaty things)

2) I couldn't care less about the spider veins that pregnancy gave to me, my wrinkles, dark circles under my eyes, bad hair days, or "fat days". 

3) I enjoy every second of being outdoors (something I couldn't do for 5 months due to my funky eye), ESPECIALLY when it's raining, snowing or windy (yay I can block out all those nasty drops of water, frigid ice pellets and dust from making their way into my funky eye!)

4) I feel even more blessed to have a beautiful and healthy baby boy and a husband with a soul of gold for sticking with me as my rock through this.

5) I have identified who my REAL friends are and no longer have to waste my time with the vacuous friendships I maintained pre-BP. 

6) I have been inspired by and learned from so many amazing individuals on this site and other support forums.

Cheers!
Jet
Forum God

« Reply #10 on: 01 October, 2010, 09:30:03 am »

MrsNewMommy,

I agree with everything you said.  Well done you!

My Sarcoidosis journey thread: http://www.bellspalsy.org.uk/support-forums/index.php?topic=781.0
leigh
Forum Senior

« Reply #11 on: 01 October, 2010, 10:01:59 am »

Good Morning all on a wet and windy one,

I think we should see if we can get these lists put under useful information, because I think they will help everybody that new and old on the site, thank you both, this what I like about this forum we all help each other when we can.

Ps Debbie can you do that with you being a forum god?

Leigh
debbie1056
Forum God

Fully recovered

« Reply #12 on: 01 October, 2010, 11:01:04 am »

Hi Leigh
No if my god like status dont let me do things like that lol.....think this is one for the real forum god .... Bluejay.
Debbie
ghapfml
« Reply #13 on: 01 October, 2010, 04:23:16 pm »

Thanks to all the Forum Leaders for being so helpful and doing a great job! AndMrsNewMommy thanks for answering my question, i especially wanted to thank you for your #1 because it made me laugh, which is no small feat because i have lost my joy and my sense of humor is gone. 
     I thought up an additional answer yesterday....but since i'm still in recovery, most of my answers are how Bells will improve my life versus right now...I think Bells will force me to manage money better.  It has already forced me to question my life.  This disaster hit us at a financially difficult time, in fact that was probably the major stress that lowered my resistance.  I had no savings put away for any kind of emergency like this, and it would have been great to have a rainy day fund to help me keep my sanity right now.  Instead i'm looking at 5 closets of clothes that i don't even want to wear since i don't want to leave the house.  Plus if its permanent Bells i'll lose my job, and had i had money in the bank the stress would be less.  So sorry to be a downer.  I'll try to think up something more positive tomorrow.  ghapfml xoxo   
Jet
Forum God

« Reply #14 on: 01 October, 2010, 04:29:12 pm »

This is where Ebay is your friend ghapfml!

I had waaaaaaaay too many clothes because I have a habit of keeping them 'just in case'.  I recently sorted through them all and put a lot of stuff on Ebay.  Gave me something to do (as if running around after a 16 month old isn't enough) and helped out a bit financially too.

It also gave me a good laugh because some of the things were fancy dress outfits and the memories of wearing them made me chuckle.

P.S When did I become a Forum Senior? That is due to my 200+ posts, mostly of wittering nonsense haha!
« Last Edit: 01 October, 2010, 04:31:03 pm by Jet » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length