Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
18 July, 2018, 01:47:48 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

WELCOME TO THE ONLINE FORUMS FOR THE BELL'S PALSY ASSOCIATION | Charity Reg. 1094039

+  Bells Palsy Support Forums
|-+  General
| |-+  GENERAL DISCUSSION - Open To All
| | |-+  a weird question: How has Bells Palsy IMPROVED your life??????????
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: a weird question: How has Bells Palsy IMPROVED your life??????????  (Read 25783 times)
2faced4awhile
« Reply #45 on: 08 October, 2010, 11:17:32 pm »

Now when I play ugly face with my kids we all can have a big laugh over me making the silliest faces. remember how you mom use to tell you not to make ugly faces your face will stick that way well I get to tell my kids moms are always right I made too many funny faces at people and my face has stuck this way 4 awhile. When some people that have made fun of my face and it hurts I tell them that the nerve in my finger has also been affected it point straight up, my middle finger to be exact its connected to the middle part of my ear and what is so funny they are sometimes that stupid to believe me. So id rather look like this than to really be that stupid. Im looking so forward to scarring the kids this halloween.
leigh
Forum Senior

« Reply #46 on: 09 October, 2010, 01:54:33 pm »

Hi Bluejay,

Thanks for your lovely post and many thanks for all the kinds words you have  given me  over the last couple of years, even when it wasn't about bp. you help me a lot.

many thanks again Leigh
debbie1056
Forum God

Fully recovered

« Reply #47 on: 09 October, 2010, 02:42:51 pm »

Hi
I can only back up what Leigh has said regarding Bluejay, he was the best source of information, help and advice l could of wish for.
So a big Thankyou
Debbie
ghapfml
« Reply #48 on: 11 October, 2010, 05:32:13 pm »

wow 11 years--i admire your strength and generosity in sharing, Bluejay! 
ghapfml
« Reply #49 on: 12 October, 2010, 06:17:31 pm »

Hi everyone,
forgot my update: on Day 28 now, still not fully recovered, still having to tape up my eye 24 hours a day, still praying but struggling with depression (which week does the depression finally go away!)  Thought maybe listing some "hopes" would make me think more positively.  When/if i get over BP, i hope to------a: go out and get a submarine sandwich so huge, that it requires me to open my entire mouth wide to crunch it good!  b: show off my neglected eye, by wearing false eyelashes to my next party! and finally c:  wake up whistling.  Smiley       
lucyhope

« Reply #50 on: 13 October, 2010, 01:35:34 pm »

I don't know about improved my life, I do know that I don't care what people think about the way I look. I find after all this time I just don't think much about my BP at all and to be truthful if I don't make a big thing about it no-one else seems to. Had BP when I was 17, now 55, and no recovery at all. A few people over the years have asked what happened, most of them think I had a stroke. Most of the people I know now don't know me any other way, even my children ask who's that when they see a photo of me pre BP!

I had no advice at the time and none since,the only information I have about BP is what I have found on here, and only found this by accident a few months ago. Didn't know about eye drops, or taping up the eye at night, so many things I've discovered.
  I hope the knowledge that not all of us make a full recovery hasn't upset you ghapfml .
ghapfml
« Reply #51 on: 13 October, 2010, 05:18:19 pm »

Thank you for your post lucyhope, for your honesty and especially your caring enough to wonder how your post would affect me...i really admire your strength and coping.  Truthfully, it has been the percentage of non-full-recoveries that i've been so obsessed about, because i have always felt that any of the bad cards that Life dealt me were offset by how much I loved my career and how special it is/was; so now that my career has been taken away temporarily and maybe permanently, i feel that all of my eggs were in one basket and now that basket is gone.  Yet, i know it happens to people all the time, and they have the courage to re-assess and rebuild.  I am so upset at my own weakness and difficulty in coping, but it has made me see that i really have to let go of perfectionism, and live a more balanced life.  Work isn't everything.  Our short life here on earth isn't everything either.  xoxo     
rebeccadriscoll
« Reply #52 on: 14 October, 2010, 02:46:53 am »

Its been 8.5 months, and my depression has lifted in direct relation to recovery. Not depression, so much as a total disconnect. I'd say the pinnacle of it was about 4 months, when I didn't have a fragment of movement back . . and four months seemed like an eternity. I'm at 8.5 months now, and am about 50% recovered (still can't blink, but can scrunch eye shut). If anything, I'd say I'm just getting used to it, but I haven't returned to previous outgoing personality . . sorry for the sad reality check, but at least you'll know your not alone in feeling bad about this. Really my career doesn't depend on my looks, so if it did, I an only imagine what new layer of distress that would add. Most people don't notice anymore . . . and for the most part, I am less concerned with getting it all back, since I know I won't, and I think after 3/4 back, you look a little quirky, but at least not the Frankenstein we were when nothing moved.  Seems the majority of return happened between 4 and 6 months; slowed down consierably now.
ghapfml
« Reply #53 on: 14 October, 2010, 08:34:33 pm »

Hi rebeccadriscoll, i really appreciate your sharing regarding the feeling bad part, they say a problem shared is a problem halved...there was one thing you mentioned that struck me, when you said "i am less concerned with getting it all back, since i know I won't"...and i beg to differ?  Miracles in health happen to millions of people every single day, so I truly feel that you just never know, it could happen with you.  I don't believe in coincidences, and I truly believe that even natural laws can be bended/broken--i've just seen too many stories where miracles have happened.  Yes the percentages and numbers are frightening and depressing, but exceptions can happen, and who knows you might wake up one day with even more improvement coming back.  I bet there's someone out there who thought they'd never recover, then they did.  Thank you for writing, every bit helps me.  xoxo   
Jodie1975
« Reply #54 on: 15 October, 2010, 10:03:41 am »

What a great thread!

I too have more compassion for ill/disabled people and realise that little things like a bad hair day are not so bad after all.

I also don't take my health for granted anymore and realise that anything can happen, just over night. I now exercise 3 times a week and go to Pilates. I have cut down drinking, go to bed earlier and eat healthier as I don't want an even worse illness one day.

Good luck with your recovery and hope the BP doesn't affect your acting/modelling in the future x
ghapfml
« Reply #55 on: 15 October, 2010, 07:26:07 pm »

I am so inspired by all of your new health habits Jodie1975, especially working out 3 times a week! 

We had received a case of wine right when i was diagnosed, so i was literally drinking a bottle a day to cope, until i hit rock bottom...last week i started exercising again, and am now 2 days sober and feeling much better.

When i got the BP i had been rundown and not sleeping enough and completely and utterly stressed out, and did a night shoot 4 days earlier in freezing cold.  I will not allow myself to get into that stage ever again, if i can help it.

You made me realize that the health habits i start today will be great for my future.  Good luck with your recovery too, and thanks so much for making my day!  I had been sitting around dreading doing anything, and after reading your post i am going to get off my duff and get some exercise.  Whenever i think i'll skip out, i'll think about your 3 times a week.  Maybe i can average 2 times a week, for starters.   

THANK YOU SO MUCH     
ghapfml
« Reply #56 on: 15 October, 2010, 08:23:19 pm »

I just realized something new about how BP has improved my life...i was thinking about how i get so much out of this thread, yet it had taken me 2 whole weeks to finally log onto this support forum--and even then, in the beginning it was my friend who had kept insisting i join a chat and she was the one who found this one for me, and after finding it i had wished i had been here from the very start rather than 2 weeks into the BP....

...finally yesterday was the first time i logged into the Dry Eye Chat that the fabulous jan7 had told me about some time ago.  And it is really fabulous, and helping me too, and once again I wished i had found it early on rather than procrastinating to look into it.

So, BP has improved my life by showing me that when illness or bad news strikes, i need to find a support forum immediately rather than procrastinating about it, as the benefits and research are instantaneous and potentially pain-saving and maybe even lifesaving. 

Okay, off to the health club!  Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length