Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
13 December, 2017, 03:10:14 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

WELCOME TO THE ONLINE FORUMS FOR THE BELL'S PALSY ASSOCIATION | Charity Reg. 1094039

+  Bells Palsy Support Forums
|-+  General
| |-+  GENERAL DISCUSSION - Open To All
| | |-+  My Bells caused by dentist
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: My Bells caused by dentist  (Read 27373 times)
Sinful Sailor

« on: 31 October, 2008, 12:59:11 pm »

Hi everyone what a great website, very usefull and I hope everyone fills in the Poll as I was told that dentistry was not a normal cause of BP.

I have suffered for 7 weeks now and it was brought on after I had an injection for some crown work on my upper RH jawon the Friday at 11am. When the freezing had worn off I noticed that the numbness was still with me late in the evening and happened to be with a nurse who suggested that perhaps the injection would wear off overnight, it did not and I have BP!

How many more of us are out there?

Sinful Sailor Smiley

JayJay

« Reply #1 on: 31 October, 2008, 02:24:47 pm »

Hello there
First off, Bluejay won't be surprised to see me replying to this post !
My BP started 5 July and I would say I am about 70% ish percent recovered.
I am convinced that my BP was caused by extensive dental treatment over a fairly short period of time.
Despite the fact that there is not a dentist (or doctor) on the planet who would agree with me.
I even e-mailed a dentist in the US with a couple of questions and he was kind enough to send me a prompt and detailed reply. He informed me that facial paralysis can occur after certain procedures but only temporarily.
I have asked Bluejay about this and apparently quite a lot of BP sufferers have mentioned dental treatment in the past.
The bottom line is though that there is no way of proving these theories, so I could be mistaken but as far as I'm concerned I think there is a link and maybe more research should be carried out.
Of course, getting myself stressed out thinking about this is not good so I'll leave it there.
All the best
JayJay

Gink

« Reply #2 on: 31 October, 2008, 02:31:13 pm »

I too had a tooth removed top left in April of this year and then another bottom right 3 weeks ago. My Bells is on the left so the opposite side to the most recent extraction. I always suffer real nerve pain for a few weeks after any dental injection. I dont know if it is related at all as it is the opposite side but who knows?
bella

« Reply #3 on: 31 October, 2008, 06:27:09 pm »

Hi well i had a wisdom tooth removed by my dentist in a check up.  Was a shock at the time, but had pain where the jag had been, then 2 weeks later bells palsy.  WHich i have to say was the worse pain i have ever hd. Still have nerve pain on that side two years on.  I have asked friends who are denists nd one nearly aggreed with me. But I have no doubt it was that dental visit that started it. 
mags1
Regular

« Reply #4 on: 03 November, 2008, 11:14:22 am »

hi,
   i had fp since the 26th june and strange enough i went to the dentist 6wks ago for fillings,when the jag wore off i had alot of nerve pain and couldn't take hot or cold drinks without feeling pain,i had to go back last week as it was the first time i could get off work and the dentist had to give me 4 jags before he could remove the filling to investigate,he found it strange as he could not see anything wrong but filled it with cloves and i am to go back this month to get it re-filled.that night my eye wouldn't close and my cheek was very sore,familiar feeling,next day my mouth slightly more twisted and my hearing more distorted than normal,this lasted for 5 days then back to normal again except the eye still blinks more slowly than the other.my neuro-utologist said although no proven links with the dentist that it was possible and most likely the injections had stunned the nerve. interesting "yes"

mags
Gink

« Reply #5 on: 03 November, 2008, 12:20:59 pm »

Hi,

The last 3 times when I have had dental work and injections were required I had severe facial pain on either side.  After several trips back to the dentist for investigation into the pain but to no avail. When I visited my GP he said the facial nerve had been traumatised and that Amitriptolene would work. I took 30mg a night and the pain was gone.

My GP presecribed Amitriptolene for my BP and at last I am pain free after starting on 10mg and now taking 30mg.

My BP is on the side that I had dental work done in April of this year.

Hope this might be of help to anyone.

Jax

I am now on day 14 and no change.

This is my first day back at work..........im quite tired but plodding on and lubricating loads.
Sinful Sailor

« Reply #6 on: 03 November, 2008, 02:27:39 pm »

Thanks everyone it certainly confirms my suspicians and the need for further research.

I just hope everyone fills in the poll to snsure we can see the volume effected.

Thanks Sinful Sailor  Sad
PATSY

« Reply #7 on: 01 May, 2009, 09:54:21 pm »

Hi patsy here just saw this message, new to forum. When i got my second bout of bp i visited the dentist first because i taught i was suffering from tooth ache i was sent home with a mout wash the next day i got bp and every so often when my bp is bad i also have a pain in the same tooth on the same side that I have the bp def think it is linked and still considering getting tooth out as i have a very deep filling in this tooth and i think it maybe causing some damage to  a nerve
NeoMorph

« Reply #8 on: 10 May, 2009, 01:35:00 pm »

I had a root canal prep done and because it was so painful the dentist did a nerve block. At the same visit to the dentist I mentioned a gum infection and the doctor prescribed a anaesthetic mouth wash that I started using.

8 days later I got Bell's Palsy at exactly the point where the nerve block was done!

I'm convinced that it was something to do with the infection being transferred to the nerve and then causing the nerver to get inflamed leading to the cranial nerve pinch.
Gink

« Reply #9 on: 11 May, 2009, 12:29:41 pm »

I am now convinced that dental work can cause BP. I have even got my GP to agree with me!

It seems that about 10 days after a dental visit and both times having my mouth open for an hour or and hour and a half having work done at the back of my mouth the BP comes.

I am now on my 2nd bout of BP in six months. Both times on the same side.

This time it is not as severe as the first but so frustrating.

My eye is watering the whole time and wants to shut instead of staying open. It completely closes whenever I eat.......my GP has said he has never seen this before and is going to talk to a neurologist to see what they say.

I had an MRI in Jan of this year that was completley clear.....good news.

Hang in there guys!

NeoMorph

« Reply #10 on: 14 May, 2009, 10:51:51 pm »

I have the complete opposite with my right eye wanting to stay open. As long as my left eye is closed I can force the right eye down.

yikes
Regular

« Reply #11 on: 07 October, 2017, 12:04:27 am »

I had two front teeth replaced with crowns about a month and a half before the onset of Bell's. It was heavy-duty dental work and of course I suspect that as a cause.

But I do think a lot of adults will have had dental work in the recent past at almost any time in their life. You could say I'd eaten swordfish and then gotten Bell's and an awful lot of people would agree with that. Or, I had a lot of stress and then got BP.

Certainly worth further investigation, though.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length