Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
23 April, 2014, 08:30:27 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

WELCOME TO THE ONLINE FORUMS FOR THE BELL'S PALSY ASSOCIATION | Charity Reg. 1094039

+  Bells Palsy Support Forums
|-+  General
| |-+  GENERAL DISCUSSION - Open To All
| | |-+  How long have you been dealing with Bell's Palsy?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How long have you been dealing with Bell's Palsy?  (Read 957 times)
Synapse
« on: 28 September, 2012, 06:38:55 pm »

Hi Everyone,

I had Bell's Palsy attack when i was 20. It was really afraid of it, even though doctors said that person at my age would heal quick, but sadly i only healed up 85% of it.

Its has been 6 years, and i would say i definitely improved from 85%.. i would say im close to 90%. i Still have trouble with 100% smile, and my eyebrow only goes up 50%.

maybe the age or the trend, my friends have not noticed any difference with me... of course when talking, one side does not move much compare to others, but my friends think it its just style.. and how people speak these days.

I was talking to my mom and my mom said i had small pox when i was young, unlike my sibling who all had vaccines. My mom herself got chicken pox but not small pox.

I'm 90% sure the reason i had bell palsy is due to the Small pox virus, which is similar to Chicken pox, and Herpes, of course stress and other factors play a role as well.

My question for you fellow sufferers are...

How long have you had it?

Have you seen any improvement after the initial recovery?

If someone of here who has 95%+ healing, how did it happen? did it happen over many years?

Have you guys had Chicken pox, Small Pox, etc?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 28 September, 2012, 06:40:50 pm by Synapse » Logged
DebbieL
« Reply #1 on: 28 September, 2012, 10:06:42 pm »

Hi Synapse.  Answers to your questions:

I've had BP 7 times, first time 28 years ago, last time 13 years ago. 

I have approx 40% recovery on each side. (I've had it 3 times on one side, 4 times on the other)

I had chicken pox as a child.  My doctor has me take an antiviral med (Valtrex) every day to try to keep from getting it again.
MargieAnne
« Reply #2 on: 30 September, 2012, 10:49:56 am »

7 months. No improvement, worse if anything.

Stress probably major factor. I have been plagued by cold sores for as long as I can remember.

Right now wondering if recent flights have contributed to slight worsening of symptoms.

Trying to stay positive but it's not easy.

Blessings
kwogni
« Reply #3 on: 01 October, 2012, 04:00:39 pm »

Hi Synapse,

I've had BP 3 times. Recovery from my first one (29 years ago) was similar to yours but I would judge myself at 80% recovered. More than anything my smile never was the same, nor could I curl my upper lip.

It was after I had my second bout 2 years ago, that the recovery seemed more complete. I would say that because it happened before, I knew to encourage the twitching on the face whenever it happened (I had suppressed these incidents the first time not knowing what was happening). Also, I was in much better physical shape now versus the first time, when I was an out of shape teen. Also, the first time plunged me into a very dark depression (which may have played a part in the partial healing), whereas the second and third time, I was more motivated to recover.

I still can't smile as fully as I could before my first BP episode but with each subsequent bout, I can feel more of the muscles getting into it versus the first time. I'm not recommending to get BP again (that would be terrible!), but you can consult with a vitamin expert in a safe dose of vitamin B12 to see if that helps. It seemed to help me with my latest bout.
rogead
« Reply #4 on: 07 October, 2012, 04:44:51 pm »

Hello,

I have had Bell's Palsy for 10 mths.

I believe I have recovered about 80 percent.

I had chicken pox when I was a kid. I was 5 yrs old. I am now 46.

I think I got bell's from flumist which is a live flu virus that they put in your nose. I had to have the flumist or flu shot for work ...so I took the mist because I hate shots...well that is How I think I got it or from Stress...I didn't know that the flumist was a live virus. I don't advise this to anyone. My ENT doctors both said that they don't advise anyone to get this because it is a live virus too...why do they allow this..I don't know.

I have hope for more of a recovery.
I actually have been trying Saint John's Wart and I have been getting more tingling in my face I am not sure if this will work for everyone. Just a thought.

Good luck,
Angela
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length