Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
24 March, 2017, 07:59:23 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

WELCOME TO THE ONLINE FORUMS FOR THE BELL'S PALSY ASSOCIATION | Charity Reg. 1094039

+  Bells Palsy Support Forums
|-+  Regional - WORLDWIDE
| |-+  FAR EAST
| | |-+  Day 7 with BP
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Day 7 with BP  (Read 6084 times)
Maveric

« on: 10 November, 2015, 03:17:21 am »

Hello

Greetings from a little city in East Malaysia. It is Day 7 since I've been diagnosed with BP on the left side of my face and it sucks.

I had returned from overseas and arrived on Tuesday night. On Wednesday I went to work and already noticed the inability to blink my left eye. I had thought that I was just tired from a full day of travelling and lack of sleep. When eating my dinner, I had noticed limited mouth control and inability to hold liquids in my mouth. I thought I was having a stroke, but noticed that I could still move my arms and was frantically pronouncing words to see if my speech was slurred.

Good ole' Google provided the prognosis....Bell's Palsy. Day 1.

Day 2, I work up early and went to see my local Doctor. He basically agreed with my prognosis and even pulled out a thick medical book from his drawer, looked at the back for "Bell's Palsy" which then referred him to Page 1072, to which he started to read out the symptoms that I already told him that I had. I was prescribed steroids and antivirals and artificial tears. 

On Day 4, I went to see a chiropractor as I've seen on Youtube that it may help. The chiropractor was a young guy and probably have not heard of BP. He gave my an adjustment anyway, which I needed. I also went for a back massage to try to de-stress myself.

It is now Day 7 and I have not had much improvement. I suppose it is early days. I suppose I should be glad that I do not have total paralysis as I can half close my left eye if I put some grunt into it, raise my left eyebrow slightly and muster a half smile on my left side. My left nostril does not flare....just my right nostril. Eating is a chore and I'm trying not to dribble. Losing the sense of taste is also not so nice.

Friends have been asking me to see a neurologist to see if they can help, but I'm skeptical. From what I've read, there is no known cause for BP or how to treat it. It's a "lets see how it goes" attitude.

And. This. Sucks.

I'm trying hard not to be depressed but its equally hard not to. Only a few of my friends know of my BP. It's hard to work on the computer when your left eye is irritated constantly.

Worst thing is I've had to give up one of my hobbies for a while.

The lack of sleep is making me tired but I've decided to do some exercises at home with some weights as soon as I can muster some motivation.

I'm also thinking about some options....Neurologist? Acupuncture? Traditional Chinese Medicine?

I do not know.

Any ideas anyone?

Regards

Maveric

Maveric

« Reply #1 on: 11 November, 2015, 04:22:42 am »

This is a follow up post.

This is Day 8.

I went to see a neurologist this morning.

I suppose it was good to get a second opinion even though she did confirm what I already know.

However, she did say that the the dosage for the steroids that my normal doctor gave me on Day 2 was too low.

My normal doctor told me to take 2 x 5mg a day...10mg, which I have since exhausted.

The Neurologist said that had I gone to see her on Day 2, she would have given me a massive dose...like 50mg and had I taken that massive dose, it could have been more effective compared to now.  

Nevertheless, she prescribed me a massive dose of steroids. I have to eat 10 pills a day.

Lets just see how it goes.

My face is more or less the same, however it does feel like I have lost more function. My left smile is not as big compared to a few days ago. Eye is still irritated like hell.

I told my wife I'm gonna quit my job and be an Elvis impersonator.

Keep your chin up People.

Regards

Maveric

« Last Edit: 11 November, 2015, 08:01:59 am by Maveric » Logged
Maveric

« Reply #2 on: 13 November, 2015, 08:29:48 am »

Day 10 with BP

After 2 days with heavy doses of corticosteroids since seeing the neurologist, I have not felt any specific improvement:

•   Left eyebrow – little movement
•   Left eyelid – sill unable to close fully. Very dry today for some reason.
•   Left nostril – complete inability to flare, not even a flicker.
•   Left side of mouth – little movement.
•   Tongue – still limited sense of taste. There is always a waxy taste on the tongue.

Just a few tips on how to cope with BP for now:

•   Putting eyedrops every few hours or so;
•   Eat slowly;
•   Taking an extra long time to brush teeth and gargle with a mouth wash. Best if doing this whilst taking a shower;
•   Wearing goggles when taking a shower to protect the left eye;
•   Before sleeping: (1) apply the gel type eyedrops into left eye, (2) tape left eye fully shut using surgical tape; (3) apply a piece of gauze or thick folded bandage over taped left eye and tape it in place again using surgical tape; and finally (4) wear a sleeping mask over both eyes.

I was feeling a little depressed a few days ago, but I’m not as depressed today. I think it is because I thought back at all the research I have done and all the videos I’ve watched on Youtube from people who were posting video diaries and tips on how to cope. It’s amazing the diverse amount of people that gets this condition…from young to old, of all races, around the world. I guess that makes me feel that I am not all alone, although I have chosen not to tell a lot of people about my BP.

I have got to exercise more and eat more fruit and veges. And cut down on the cigarettes. I don’t feel as tired as I did during the first 9 days but the lack of activity or exercise (given that I have stopped all social activities and my hobby) is making my body not as fit as before. Having a desk job doesn’t help either I suppose.

I miss my hobby which is Latin ballroom classes, which I have decided to stop for at least a month. Dancing was my exercise as I’m very into it and I love the total body workout. But with BP, I didn’t want to dance in close proximity with a partner in case she catches me “constantly winking at her” which I promise I’m not intentionally doing Wink.

My wife is constantly reminding me to do facial exercises and will always massage my face and pinch my cheeks like how a distant relative will do to you when you are little. Hahaha. I’m so blessed to have her.

Anyhoo…people. Its Friday, and I thank God because I’m alive.

Maveric
Maveric

« Reply #3 on: 16 November, 2015, 07:42:05 am »

Day 13 with BP

It’s a Monday and it is Day 13 with Bell’s Palsy.

No improvement even after 50 mg of corticosteroids a day for 5 days.

Today is only 40mg as per the Neurologist’s instructions.

My weekend was spent at home hiding. I was a bit productive though....housework, washing clothes, ironing, cooking....basically being a house husband!!! Also watched a lot of series on TV.

I’m at work today and my eye is dry as hell. I believe the vision in my left eye is not clear anymore. I had LASIK surgery in 2008 and was proud to say that my vision was 20-20. After Bell’s Palsy...maybe not, in my left eye anyway.

I haven’t been back to the chiropractor, but only because they requested that I do an X-Ray which I have not done.

I haven’t been back to the massage either.

I’ve been trying to track down some black seed oil which I read online may help. It appears to be a traditional remedy. It is touted as a cure for everything except death. No harm in trying.

What I haven’t found out is how to administer it. I have read that it should be rubbed and massaged on the face, which points to the fact that it is in oil form. But what if it is in pill form?

Anyway, I‘m going to hit a couple of places later to look for it.

Just me at Day 13.

Maveric.
Maveric

« Reply #4 on: 17 November, 2015, 09:13:16 am »

Day 14 with BP

After 5 days of 50mg corticosteroids a day and yesterday with 40 mg of corticosteroids, I am pleased to report that I have more control over my left eye. I am able to close it fully if I concentrate on closing it. However, if I blink quickly, it still remains open. But hey at least I do not need to use my finger to manually shut it.

Left eyebrow still has minimal movement. Left nostril still does not flare. Still cannot gargle or hold liquids in my mouth.

I’ve had migraines yesterday and this morning for some reason. Auras will appear in my right eye before the pain comes in. I’ve had 4 painkillers this morning and I am just about ok now after lunch. Perhaps I just need to eat.

Just a note about eye drops. When I visited my family doctor on Day 2, he gave me “Alcari Tears Naturale Artificial Tears” in a 15ml bottle which I have used like 5 or 6 times a day. I have almost finished the bottle.

When I went to the Neurologist, she gave me a box of “Refresh Plus Lubricant Eye Drop”, which contained 30 mini bottles of eye drops.

The difference is that the Alcari Eye Drops contains preservatives but the Refresh Eye Drops do not.

I must say it does make a difference with the Refresh Eye Drops as my left eye is not as easily irritated anymore. I used 1 bottle last night and 1 bottle this morning and so far my left eye is ok. Its dry but not as dry as yesterday. Vision appears to be clear.

I’m still trying to track down the black seed oil.

Have a good week folks.

Maveric
Maveric

« Reply #5 on: 18 November, 2015, 08:41:21 am »

Day 15 with BP.

I had 30mg of corticosteroids today and worked the better part of my day today without thinking about BP.

However, I have just spent the last 15 minutes looking at my phone with the selfie camera on as I can see a slight flaring of my left nostril. Yay!!!!

I have also noticed the following:

•   Left eyebrow able to reach upwards up to 80% capacity;
•   Left side of mouth able to smile up to 60% wide;
•   Left eye able to close fully if I concentrate, but unable to close if I blink quickly; and
•   Tongue is still unable to taste property. There is a constant waxy taste.

I am so relieved at these improvements and hope that these will get better. My smile still looks a bit wonky, and if I hear a fantastic joke and laugh out loud, my left eye remains open.

I am planning to go for one more chiropractic adjustment and a massage just to relax.

I am still trying to track down the black seed oil, but may put this off if I can see more improvement.

I’m having dinner with family tonight and I’m sure they will be thrilled to see these improvements.

Thank God!!!

Maveric
Maveric

« Reply #6 on: 27 November, 2015, 09:17:03 am »

Day 24 with BP

Hi all. Its a Friday today. Sorry I've not been posting for a while. The truth is that I just completely forgot about the Bell's Palsy because  sometime early this week I gained nearly full control of the left side of my face.

I am able to blink my left eye. So my left eye is not dry anymore. I am also not taping my eye shut anymore when I go to sleep.

I am able to flare my left nostril.

I am able to hold fluids in my mouth without dribbling.

I can whistle again!!!

BUT my left smile is still at about 90%.

I was quite surprised because last weekend, a dog that I was helping to care for (as the owners went on holiday) had 3 seizures which scared the hell out of me. It was a stressful weekend as I had to care for the dog, bring her to the vet, constantly check up on her, kept waking up when I hear a noise from her.....its almost like taking care of a child.

So yeah, I'm really happy with my progress and looking forward to resuming my Latin ballroom lessons.

I am however going to see a chiropractor tomorrow for another adjustment. I have been waking up with headaches lately. I sleep late and wake up early. Definitely not enough sleep.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Maveric

Maveric

« Reply #7 on: 16 December, 2015, 08:28:18 am »

Hello Everyone

I am not sure when the Bell's Palsy disappeared as I totally forgot about it but it must have been around about 1 December 2015, which will be Day 28 that I regained full function of my face. I remember that day as that day I went back to dance class.

I am very happy and consider myself fortunate as I only had BP for 28 days. I have read about cases that went on for months.

To those still suffering from it, please hang in there. I believe the massive dose of corticosteroids together with a few visits to the chiropractor really helps. If you have had your dose of corticosteroids, perhaps find a chiropractor and have an adjustment to your spine and see how it goes. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

So that's me.....Maveric signing off......

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length