Day 10 with BP
After 2 days with heavy doses of corticosteroids since seeing the neurologist, I have not felt any specific improvement:
• Left eyebrow – little movement
• Left eyelid – sill unable to close fully. Very dry today for some reason.
• Left nostril – complete inability to flare, not even a flicker.
• Left side of mouth – little movement.
• Tongue – still limited sense of taste. There is always a waxy taste on the tongue.
Just a few tips on how to cope with BP for now:
• Putting eyedrops every few hours or so;
• Eat slowly;
• Taking an extra long time to brush teeth and gargle with a mouth wash. Best if doing this whilst taking a shower;
• Wearing goggles when taking a shower to protect the left eye;
• Before sleeping: (1) apply the gel type eyedrops into left eye, (2) tape left eye fully shut using surgical tape; (3) apply a piece of gauze or thick folded bandage over taped left eye and tape it in place again using surgical tape; and finally (4) wear a sleeping mask over both eyes.
I was feeling a little depressed a few days ago, but I’m not as depressed today. I think it is because I thought back at all the research I have done and all the videos I’ve watched on Youtube from people who were posting video diaries and tips on how to cope. It’s amazing the diverse amount of people that gets this condition…from young to old, of all races, around the world. I guess that makes me feel that I am not all alone, although I have chosen not to tell a lot of people about my BP.
I have got to exercise more and eat more fruit and veges. And cut down on the cigarettes. I don’t feel as tired as I did during the first 9 days but the lack of activity or exercise (given that I have stopped all social activities and my hobby) is making my body not as fit as before. Having a desk job doesn’t help either I suppose.
I miss my hobby which is Latin ballroom classes, which I have decided to stop for at least a month. Dancing was my exercise as I’m very into it and I love the total body workout. But with BP, I didn’t want to dance in close proximity with a partner in case she catches me “constantly winking at her” which I promise I’m not intentionally doing
My wife is constantly reminding me to do facial exercises and will always massage my face and pinch my cheeks like how a distant relative will do to you when you are little. Hahaha. I’m so blessed to have her.
Anyhoo…people. Its Friday, and I thank God because I’m alive.