Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
30 April, 2017, 03:42:58 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

WELCOME TO THE ONLINE FORUMS FOR THE BELL'S PALSY ASSOCIATION | Charity Reg. 1094039

+  Bells Palsy Support Forums
|-+  Regional - WORLDWIDE
| |-+  USA
| | |-+  Severe shooting pains around head and tinning/muted ear
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Severe shooting pains around head and tinning/muted ear  (Read 1330 times)
erealpixie

« on: 17 June, 2016, 12:36:14 am »

Hello Everyone I am on day 8 of Bells Palsy. I have a few concerns and cannot seem to find much info online. My Bells started a few nights after I got into a big argument with my sister (i was so frustrated I lost my voice). We are in the process of buying a home that requires all of our savings, I homeschool and have quite a bit of stress at work.  The day after I had the frustrating meltdown I noticed my right side of my neck was killing me, I had my husband massage it for me but I couldn't sleep that night. The next am I scheduled an apt with the chiropractor. At the chiro office he adjusted my neck and said if it is an ear infection he could adjust my ears and yanked them down until it popped (looking back now I absolutely cringe at this and wonder if this was the cause of my Bells, I am very scared that he did permanent damaged and have spent many tears over this). Needless to say when I got home I noticed my tongue was numb and several hours later my eye was bloodshot and wouldn't close and I couldn't hold water in my mouth. The next day I went to the ER, the ER doc said sounds like a classic case of Bells Palsy and he didn't think it had anything to do with the chiro but his neurologist wanted me to get a cat scan in case which I turned down due to the high radiation levels and the length of time and money that would have to be spent being I am not insured.

Fast forward...by day 5 I was feeling some activity (bruised feeling, slight zapping on occasion) on my bells side, my eye seemed to close a bit further although not much. Now day 7 and I have never felt worse. My eye won't close as much and I was up all night in tears with extreme zapping/shooting pains all around on the Bells side of my head (including ear, down neck and back of head). I have never experienced anything so torturous, it literally takes my breathe away. I normally do not take meds for anything (even migraines) I just deal with it, but this hurts so bad. I also noticed a tinny/muted sound to my ear on the bells side. Has anyone experienced any of this I am in tears as it is so freaking painful and I was really hoping to make a speedy recovery, I have 3 boys and my house is falling apart and for several days I could barely get out of bed. Also to make things extra wonderful I have a pretty sever case of oral thrush and have been using salt water trying to reduce it. I have watched lots of videos on youtube and haven't seen anyone with my level of mess going on. Just wondering if anyone else out there can relate. Thank you!
michaelm72

« Reply #1 on: 06 August, 2016, 08:11:49 pm »

Hi, I can totally relate!! I am 44 years old and otherwise in good health.
I was diagnosed with BP in mid April 2016, now it's the first week of August and I still have symptoms.
Same thing for me, I was very stressed out, was caring for my mother in law who was sick and passed away at the end of June.
I had extreme pain on the affected side of my head above my ear, neck pains as well on both sides of my neck. The pain/headaches have gone away, but as I am typing right now my ear is ringing and has not stopped in months. I go to bed with it ringing, wake up with it ringing, very frustrating -  makes me crazy! I often feel dizzy if I get up too fast from sitting or laying down.
In terms of the paralysis I am at about 95% recovered, had all the classic symptoms, numbness on the affected side, tingling, pins and needles and the severe headaches during my recovery. The headaches were the worst, i would be sitting there just fine and calm, then all of a sudden it would feel like someone hit me in the side of the head. I felt the bruising for about 2 months.
I went to an acupuncturist and did 10 treatments. I felt it helped a lot. I am going back for more in treatments soon, but going to a different place were I can get some electric treatments done as well.

Please take very good care of your eye, try to stay as calm as possible, and you might want to ask your doctor for a low dose of sedatives like Valium or Xanax. Luckily, I already had both prescriptions when I got BP in mid April. I do not take them often, not even daily. But those nights you cannot sleep and really need the rest they come in handy.
Wishing you a speedy recovery! 
scotthw

« Reply #2 on: 22 August, 2016, 07:36:02 pm »

Hi, I contracted BP about the same time as you.  I am 63.  May have been triggered by work related stress.  

Early June I had a filling fall out on left side of my mouth.  Dentist put in temp filling, went back 2 weeks later for real filling, told dentist I had noticed that morning I could not pucker my lips or raise eyebrow on that side, asked him if the tooth issue could have affected the nerve on that side of my face - he said no since it was an upper tooth.  He listened to my symptoms and said it sounded like BP.  Read up on it and it sounded exactly like BP.

Waited til following Monday, called my GP thinking I would go in and she could deal with it - no such luck - "Get to ER now - you might be having a stroke!".  I argued, no luck.  What a hassle and expense.  ER doc said yep its PB, that will be $1000 please (no procedures, just a consultation - don't remember the exact amount but it was a lot).

Major fatigue for about 2 weeks then that slowly lifted.  Symptoms other than paralysis were:

Can't blink therefore can't lubricate eye, therefore can be painful if not lubed.  
Related to prior - sometimes hurts no matter what I do with it.  
Blurred vision on that side - can sometimes rub closed eye gently and unblur, but doesn't last long
Increased light sensitivity - I assume its due to retarded dilation response.
Random toothache type pains
Distortion of loud sounds on affected side - actually painful
Odd taste in my mouth but only on affected side
Foul breath (did not have an issue with that before)
Gaps between teeth closed up due to inflammation, had difficulty getting floss into lower left teeth for several weeks.
Have to drink fluids through a straw  - invested in some stainless steel straws, I like them!
Sleech is spurred (see what I mean ?)

I have gotten back a little mouth and eyebrow movement. Otherwise most of the above have abated except for eye related issues, and still drinking through straw - I would say I could live with any of the other symptoms a lot easier than the eye ones!

I spend a good deal of each day with my left hand holding my left eye shut, both to relieve the burning, and so I can read print clearly with other eye.  Then I let it open to let it try to function normally for a bit, then back closed again.

I have tried to correlate good days  and bad days with specific activities like computer monitor use - it seems completely random.  A little better one day and worse the next no matter what I am doing.  Day to day can't tell any improvement, but over a time a little improvement - but VERY slow.
« Last Edit: 22 August, 2016, 07:40:20 pm by scotthw » Logged
iudita

« Reply #3 on: 02 March, 2017, 03:04:18 pm »

In the early stages the only thing that helped me with the pain is warm wet heat, for the nerve pain nothing else helped but that did. The pain and the tinning muted ear subsided and went away completely over time. Patience is important. Knowing that it will get better helps a lot.
Take heart! I have had BP for 22 months. Mine has been a slow incremental but steady recovery and it has taken a lot of patience. I am at about 80% recovery. I am a bodyworker so i take time every day to massage and slowly and gently work the muscles involved as best as I can. I take encouragement by noticing the smallest changes and am hoping for a full recovery in time. I limit stress in my life to a minimum, and since my condition also came with many weird symptoms, I ride them out by telling myself it is all part of my healing. The weird symptoms and fatigue has gone away as of the last couple of months.  I now am seeing a few BP sufferers in my office in Solon, Ohio and trying to do for them what I wish could have been done for me. I am happy to share as much encouragement and support as I can with anyone else. This is a rare and very little known condition it seems. feel free to contact me at iuditaharlan@gmail.com Hang in there it keeps getting better. Nerves take a long time to regenerate i am told.
Katie

« Reply #4 on: 07 March, 2017, 02:21:47 pm »

Hi everyone, I'm newbie in third week of BP and I too have the ringing in ears sometimes  I think is in both but the affected side is more noticeable gives me hope reading it subsided for some of you , it's really hard coping this doctirs ist said tinitus noises in ears will get better as BP improves  
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length