Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
13 December, 2017, 08:55:27 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

WELCOME TO THE ONLINE FORUMS FOR THE BELL'S PALSY ASSOCIATION | Charity Reg. 1094039

+  Bells Palsy Support Forums
|-+  Regional - UNITED KINGDOM
| |-+  ENGLAND - South East
| | |-+  Day 5 BP Newbie - Ipswich, Suffolk
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Day 5 BP Newbie - Ipswich, Suffolk  (Read 2388 times)
Paffman

« on: 22 December, 2016, 04:09:18 pm »

Hi all,

I still can't believe this has happened to me, I am 56yrs old. I woke up on Sunday morning (18th December 2016) not able to feel the left side of my face, unable to blink my left eye, eat/drink/speak normally. My tongue is very painful, as is the left hand side of my face/ear and taste gone on the left side of tongue. I had to have a Paramedic out on as when I rang 111 they though it might have been a stroke. Had to go to Hospital to see an out of hours GP.

I have been to my local GP Monday and it seems that I have bell's palsy.

Fantastic for Christmas Undecided

So now on a high dose of steroids for a few weeks...

I am also type 2 diabetic using insulin and my GP told me that 60mg of steroids would push my blood sugar through the roof, but as yet I have not noticed any real change.

Fingers crossed it will get better, out of the ear/eating/drinking/blinking/focus issues, it's the not being able to blink that is worst. I have drops to keep the eye moist, but it's not helping. Sleeping... not being able to close that eye is a real issue.

I have an eye patch, but can't see that being much help, maybe keeping the wind out of my eye when I am out Huh

Any tips on how to stop my eye from hurting would be great.
jeanne

« Reply #1 on: 08 January, 2017, 04:37:04 pm »

I was am 70 and was diagnosed with BP at the end of November. It is the most frustrating virus imaginable.  Although this condition is self regulating, it requires the patience of a saint  to tolerate it. I have found  things that have helped me. Finding a physio, one  that is familiar with BP, I have been given exercises that have helped considerably. This site shows exercises for the eye which help mobility of the eyelid. I tend to use drops during the day and ointment at night. I found the eye patch difficult because I had to keep my glasses on to keep it in place. I now, as suggested by some sites use a plaster to stick my eyelid closed at nights. My eye now feels much better.
My issue is, that my mouth after some 7 weeks, is still twisted and I speak as if have a mouthful of boiled sweets. I have to use a straw to drink anything at all
Each morning that I wake I hope that it will all be gone. I understand that it can happen that way. I am also told that recovery can be anything from 3 weeks to 9 months.  I am not a patient person so my seven weeks has not been easy.
I wish you all the best
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length