Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
25 May, 2017, 09:18:22 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

WELCOME TO THE ONLINE FORUMS FOR THE BELL'S PALSY ASSOCIATION | Charity Reg. 1094039

+  Bells Palsy Support Forums
|-+  General
| |-+  GENERAL DISCUSSION - Open To All
| | |-+  Bell's and dry mouth /speech problems
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Bell's and dry mouth /speech problems  (Read 70 times)
Ted

« on: 18 May, 2017, 06:56:37 am »

I was diagnosed with bells last year March and seemed to have a good recovery, about a month. After a frightening beginning I was relieved to have made a quick Recovery. Since then though I have had what is now chronic dry mouth /speech problems. When I think back this started slowly perhaps the odd day
 here and there, then gradually over the last Year developed into a chronic state., I seem to have difficulty making complete sentences. Sometimes I am okay sometimes not. Also when reading I can read in my head really fast.,but if I actually try to speak the same sentence more over I fluff the sentence completely. My wife thinks that I a getting to anxious and thats why I muck up  when speaking. I must admit that I am an anxious person. When I get on the phone I have gone from being a good talker to a blubbering mess. I think as I have said to my wife I panic a bit because I think I a going to run out of Saliva. Went to the doctors had all the tests came back normal. Had trouble making sense to her. She said I could have some medication to calm me down. Took for about a week, threw them in bin as the side effect was making my mouth even drier. At the mo. ment I am looking To my diet it's always been pretty good. But I was wondering if any other people out there were having having similar issues. This seems to have all started since I had bell's palsy
Bernadette
Forum Senior

« Reply #1 on: 19 May, 2017, 08:30:43 am »

Hi Ted,

Sorry to hear about your speech problem.

If it is related psychologically to having had Bell's palsy, it could be a form of post-traumatic stress disorder [PTSD] Bell's palsy is a very frightening and distressing event.

The problems you describe are very common in people with PTSD https://www.myptsd.com/c/threads/does-ptsd-influence-your-verbal-communication.8227/

The treatment for PTSD is generally a form of psychotherapy http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Post-traumatic-stress-disorder/Pages/Treatment.aspx

Anxiety causes a dry mouth. Have a glass of water to hand before you speak on the phone - it might help a bit.

Could you have a good holiday? Get away from everything and have a change of scene?

All the very best to you!
« Last Edit: 19 May, 2017, 08:59:24 am by Bernadette » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length