Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
19 November, 2017, 06:04:18 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

WELCOME TO THE ONLINE FORUMS FOR THE BELL'S PALSY ASSOCIATION | Charity Reg. 1094039

+  Bells Palsy Support Forums
|-+  General
| |-+  GENERAL DISCUSSION - Open To All
| | |-+  My experience so far.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: My experience so far.  (Read 863 times)
Macazzar

« on: 24 August, 2017, 09:20:18 am »

Diagnosed on 14th Aug but I had had earache and a tingly tongue for 3 or 4 days before that.  Monday 14th I woke up in the night with a teary eye and noticed in mirror that my right side of face had dropped.  I am 51 otherwise healthy (bit fat!!!).   Dr put me on 60mg of Prednisalone for 5 days and 7 days of Aciclovir.  Steroids made me very anxious but I took whole course.  My eye was bothering me a lot until I discovered it was the pressure of my droopy eyelid that was bothering me more than a dry eye.  So once I lifted it by using micro pore tape I could manage with doing eye drops once an hour rather than every ten minutes.  The sound sensitivity is especially weird.   It's now 10 days on and I have lots of pain but no improvement which I gather is normal reading other people's stories.  Thanks to everyone who posts as it has helped me from despairing.  My friends and family are kind but think it's very trivial and don't want to talk about it so I feel isolated and frightened.
DebbieL
Forum Senior

« Reply #1 on: 24 August, 2017, 12:56:14 pm »

It's so sad when the people around us act like it's nothing... little do they know!!  You sound like you're doing all the right things.  The sound sensitivity is such a horrid part of it.  Not everyone has it, but when you do, it changes how you deal with everything while it lasts.  For most people it does go away. 

Best wishes for a good recovery.  It's so good to hear from someone who is taking good care of their eye.  That's really #1.  The most common long lasting problem is eye damage, which you're preventing.  Good job all around!
Macazzar

« Reply #2 on: 24 August, 2017, 02:56:31 pm »

Debbie. Thanks for the encouragement, it really does help knowing you are not alone.  Yes the sound thing is awful putting pans away is especially bad and the dogs front door bark.   How long does the sound sensitivity last?  As long as the paralysis?
Macazzar

« Reply #3 on: 26 August, 2017, 03:16:24 pm »

Day 12  - Saw a Nurse friend of mine today who saw me on day 5 and she thought my face was much less saggy - I still can't move anything but have had a slight twitching below the eye.  Still sound as if I've been drinking heavily...............
DebbieL
Forum Senior

« Reply #4 on: 26 August, 2017, 04:54:27 pm »

Sound sensitivity clears up for most people as they recover.

So glad you saw your nurse friend! Diminished sagging and twitching eye are great signs of recovery beginning
Macazzar

« Reply #5 on: 31 August, 2017, 02:36:09 pm »

Day 18 - Pains across my cheekbone today but looking in the mirror I see some movement there when I smile and although my eye is still not closing fully it feels a little better.  Hopefully on the mend but will continue to update as I know how important others experiences were to me when It first appeared.
DebbieL
Forum Senior

« Reply #6 on: 31 August, 2017, 04:52:58 pm »

You're doing really well!! Yay!
Macazzar

« Reply #7 on: 04 September, 2017, 08:04:16 pm »

Day 21 - managed a teeny teeny twitch on my smile today which is my 16th wedding anniversary and my husband reported my kiss was a bit better today.  (previously having been like a wet fish) so I'm happy - kinda
DebbieL
Forum Senior

« Reply #8 on: 05 September, 2017, 02:14:13 am »

Happy Anniversary!
Macazzar

« Reply #9 on: 06 September, 2017, 08:14:03 pm »

Thanks Debbie - As others have reported, incremental improvement for me but still having major problems with my hearing.  Any loud noise is almost unbearable. Can live with the crooked smile and the lower eyelid not working but the haring issue is big for me.
Macazzar

« Reply #10 on: 13 September, 2017, 07:07:05 pm »

Day 30 - No change since last update - I guess I've just plateau'ed for the time being - still having the hearing sensitivity with alot of pain but Dr says there's no infection or sign of anything wrong - but it feels "wet" to me. 
Macazzar

« Reply #11 on: 25 September, 2017, 05:17:49 pm »

Day 43.  Crooked smile still and lots and lots of twitching around my eye which can close but the lower lid still doesn't work properly.  Worryingly also lots of twitching around the eye on the side that wasn't affected.    Lots of early nights.......  Hearing is still affected and intermittent pain there but no worse.  Still hopeful though as it's not even been 2 months yet.
Macazzar

« Reply #12 on: 05 October, 2017, 09:18:28 pm »

Dr suggested taking 300mg Gabapentin per day to help constant twitching - titrating up to 900 but I'm not convinced it will help so haven't filled prescription yet does anyone have any experience of this?
DebbieL
Forum Senior

« Reply #13 on: 06 October, 2017, 12:19:29 am »

My husband took it briefly for post herpetic neuralgia after repeated episodes of shingles.  He hated it, said it made him almost as brain dead as Lyrica.  But I have a friend who takes it rather successfully for diabetic nerve pain after being unable to handle Lyrica.  Everyone deals with various drugs in different ways
Macazzar

« Reply #14 on: 26 October, 2017, 06:21:43 pm »

Gabepentin was pointless, didn't help the twitching and made me feel vile. I'm no further on than I was last post.  Still have the ear problem and if anything the facial ticcing has got worse.  When I'm tired the whole of my jaw on the BP side aches.  I've also started with a watery nose whenever I eat - so that's great........
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length