Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
19 November, 2017, 05:58:51 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

WELCOME TO THE ONLINE FORUMS FOR THE BELL'S PALSY ASSOCIATION | Charity Reg. 1094039

+  Bells Palsy Support Forums
|-+  General
| |-+  GENERAL DISCUSSION - Open To All
| | |-+  Recently Diagnosed and in a lot of pain
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Recently Diagnosed and in a lot of pain  (Read 82 times)
katelowe

« on: 12 November, 2017, 04:16:15 pm »

Hi I was diagnosed with BP almost 2 weeks since.  I have had 9 days of steroids and anti viral treatment etc but last Thursday as I was nearly at the end of them I started with a terrible pain behind my ear and it is just getting worse.  No over the counter or codeine is helping.  I saw the ear nose and throat consultant on Friday and all he said was you don't get pain with BP just take painkillers.  I am going to ring my GP in the morning as I cannot sleep for the pain it is really getting me down.  I have seen that others have had pain can anyone advise if they have and what they did.
DebbieL
Forum Senior

« Reply #1 on: 12 November, 2017, 06:56:31 pm »

I'm so sorry that you're having so much pain.  Not everyone with facial palsy has a lot of pain, but it's not rare.  Many people find that warm, moist compresses help, others find that cold compresses help more.  Many people fill an old sock with raw rice, microwave it until it's quite warm, then hold it against the painful areas. 

Best of luck, it can be very nasty.  It often starts just as you finish the steroids.  You might want to ask your doctor for another week of low dose steroids.
Bernadette
Forum God

« Reply #2 on: 13 November, 2017, 01:42:38 pm »

Hi Kate,

I had the dreadful pain you describe, too, just as I was getting to the end of the 10 day course. I was awake all night. Shortly afterwards, recovery started, so may be a good sign. The pain just stopped of its own accord.

I didn't take anything for the pain at all - not even an aspirin, as I was frightened that it might interfere with recovery.

Wishing you well!

katelowe

« Reply #3 on: 15 November, 2017, 08:29:45 pm »

Thank you for that.  I did have to give in and went to my GP he said it was unusual but was probably a nerve, he gave me antitrpylene.  At least I have had two nights sleep.  Pain not quite as bad but still there.  Looks like I will have to put up with it.   My eye felt like it was twitching a bit today when I blinked so hopefully it may be starting to try and close again. 

Bernadette
Forum God

« Reply #4 on: 15 November, 2017, 09:43:31 pm »

Hi Kate,

Glad you have had some sleep. So important.

There aren't many publications about pain in Bell's palsy, but I don't think it is uncommon.

Twitching is probably a good sign!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length