Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
17 January, 2018, 08:00:34 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

WELCOME TO THE ONLINE FORUMS FOR THE BELL'S PALSY ASSOCIATION | Charity Reg. 1094039

+  Bells Palsy Support Forums
|-+  General
| |-+  GENERAL DISCUSSION - Open To All
| | |-+  MRI Shows Swelling - is this BP?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: MRI Shows Swelling - is this BP?  (Read 99 times)
danjsaunders

« on: 03 January, 2018, 01:15:02 pm »

I was diagnosed with Bells Palsy in November 2017 which they think started in October, my doctor sent me to A&E as was concerns that the palsy was only in the bottom of my face which is a sign of a stroke, but actually very minor palsy was noted in the top half of my face.  They decided to do a CT scan to be certain, this came back clear.  I was then referred on to the Stroke dept for an MRI, which I had done at the end of November.  Just before Xmas I get a letter saying it's definitely not a stroke, but they've noticed areas of swelling of my brain and I am being bumped onto Neurology.

My question is, could it be bells palsy that is causing swelling of my brain, a month after diagnosis? I am waiting for a neurology out-patient but the stress of not knowing what is causing my brain to swell is adding a lot of stress.  In addition having seen no improvement in 2 months makes me concerned maybe I don't have BP and swelling is the sign of something else...
Bernadette
Forum God

« Reply #1 on: 03 January, 2018, 03:47:17 pm »

Hi!

I can imagine the stress that you are going through. It is dreadful having only an observation of what was seen on the scan without any diagnosis of the condition or the cause.

There is simply not enough information given to you.

Can you make further enquiries of the hospital who did the scan? Do you know when your appointment with the neurologist will be?

Bell's palsy comes about because the facial nerve stops sending signals. Sometimes that nerve just starts working again after a short time and sometimes there has to be regeneration of the nerve which takes much longer.

The swelling (or its cause) might cause the facial paralysis, but the facial paralysis would not cause the swelling.

Hope you receive some more information soon and that the facial paralysis gets better in the near future.
danjsaunders

« Reply #2 on: 03 January, 2018, 03:53:59 pm »

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply, I keep hitting a receptionist firewall at the hospital, which is rather frustrating!  If i understand correctly, the initial swelling is what causes the paralysis, but this should go down in time?
Bernadette
Forum God

« Reply #3 on: 03 January, 2018, 06:51:25 pm »

Hi,

Perhaps your GP could find out some more information? Did they tell you where the areas of swelling in the brain were located?

The facial nerve is thought to swell because of inflammation due to the herpes simplex virus. Swelling does go down with time - and the steroids are supposed to reduce the inflammation. The theory is that the swelling results in compression of the facial nerve in a bony canal (the facial canal) in the temporal bone.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length