Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
23 February, 2018, 06:20:22 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

WELCOME TO THE ONLINE FORUMS FOR THE BELL'S PALSY ASSOCIATION | Charity Reg. 1094039

+  Bells Palsy Support Forums
|-+  General
| |-+  GENERAL DISCUSSION - Open To All
| | |-+  Newly diagnosed, extremely scared
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Newly diagnosed, extremely scared  (Read 211 times)
Kcaruso21

« on: 14 January, 2018, 02:05:12 am »

I was diagnosed with Bellís palsy on December 27. I had an MRI, which shows no underlying cause of this attack. As many of us have been told, there is no way for our doctors to tell us exactly what happened. I am trying very hard to remain positive. I have moderate facial paralysis- not total. The biggest problem I am finding for myself is the intense unbearable ear ringing or tinnitus. This did not start right away, but about one week after the initial onset. It is affecting me in many ways, and making my hearing extremely sensitive. Sometimes it is so loud itís deafening for moments at a time. I go to sleep with it and wake up with it. I would love for some people to tell me that this will go away in time as I recover. Trying to trust my bodyís ability to heal. I am 29 and in good health otherwise. If anyone out there has recovered from this ear ringing or at least gotten used to it or had it subside, please let me know so I can have some hope. Thank you
Bernadette
Forum God

« Reply #1 on: 14 January, 2018, 08:27:52 am »

Hi!

So sorry to hear about the tinnitus. It does occur with Bell's palsy as the eight cranial nerve (vestibulo-cochlear nerve) can be affected as well as the seventh (facial nerve). I didn't have tinnitus but I did have extreme vertigo once  - both are linked with  cranial nerve 8. Tinnitus would occur because of swelling of the auditory part of nerve 8 and vertigo would occur because of swelling of the vestibular part.

The tinnitus may well get better as the swelling of the nerves go down, as it did in this case https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18443402 I have never suffered from vertigo since recovering from the Bell's palsy, so that is the only hope I can give you.

Your age is very much in your favour for a good recovery. Do hope all is well very soon!

Kcaruso21

« Reply #2 on: 16 January, 2018, 04:07:30 am »

Thank you so much for you response. I really appreciate you taking the time to write to me. I am in week 3 since the onset of facial paralysis, and the tinnitus has reduced to about half. This gives me hope that I will continue to improve with time! Grateful for the progression Iíve seen so far. Although the facial paralysis is exactly the same as day one, I believe in time things will get better. Thank you again!
Beefgerky18

« Reply #3 on: 11 February, 2018, 07:07:45 pm »

It is has been a few weeks so I hope you're beginning to see some improvement but if not, don't lose hope. As someone who suffered a full paralysis with unbearable tinnitus (I didn't work for a month because I couldn't sleep) let me tell you that it will get better. I'm 10 months removed from my onset and I'm still noticing small improvements. After 3 months no one could even tell I had BP. Hang in there and continue to remind yourself that small improvements are a great sign.
Kcaruso21

« Reply #4 on: 12 February, 2018, 04:36:55 am »

Thank you for your response. I am seeing improvements in my facial symmetry.. it is much better but not 100 percent back to normal. Ears are still ringing away, but it is improved about 60% so I am hopeful that it will continue to lessen. Did your ears ever stop ringing completely? Iím happy for you that you have had significant improvements. Thanks for the message
Beefgerky18

« Reply #5 on: 13 February, 2018, 03:19:30 am »

To answer your question; Maybe? I think that even before BP I had some mild tinnitus.  I still notice the ringing in a silent room or if I cover my ear but id say that the ringing is only 10% of what it was at its worst and only noticeable if I'm thinking about it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length