Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
22 June, 2018, 05:40:44 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

WELCOME TO THE ONLINE FORUMS FOR THE BELL'S PALSY ASSOCIATION | Charity Reg. 1094039

+  Bells Palsy Support Forums
|-+  General
| |-+  GENERAL DISCUSSION - Open To All
| | |-+  To steroid or not to steroid! (My experience)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: To steroid or not to steroid! (My experience)  (Read 543 times)
jojo

« on: 16 January, 2018, 06:11:59 pm »

So... being pulled out of a meeting to be told my face had 'gone funny' wasn't my finest hour ( Shocked )... but it turns out BP is the best possible option in cases like this, so for anyone reading and feeling negative about their diagnosis, that's an important silver lining!! (Also losing the wrinkles on half my face, an interesting side effect!)

For me, the Drs weren't sure whether to prescribe steroids because although my main symptoms (wonky face) had started within 2 days, I had some other weird stuff going on (twitching eye) a week earlier. Apparently most research indicates that you need to catch the BP within 3 days, but a newer study has shown possible benefits within 7 days.

So after giving me the pros and cons, they asked me to make the decision myself.
Pros: Believed to reduce swelling and speed recovery if caught in time.
Cons: Affect mood, cause nausea, lower immunity.
Option 1: High dose at the start, tapering off to a small dose over 10 days.
Option 2: Medium dose for 10 days.

I decided to take the steroids option, because the side effects seemed less of an issue than the BP itself. I took the option of a big dose at the start, because one of the risks with steroids is the sudden shock of coming off them, so this seemed the best one.

Once I started taking the steroids, my symptoms did not worsen, and I ended up with a pretty minor case of BP - a wonky smile and an eye that didn't blink. So from my perspective, the steroids were definitely worth taking. I got a little emotional (up and down) but thankfully no nausea. I know my immune system has been low because one night I woke up projectile vomiting, pretty sure it was Staph food poisoning, and yet had eaten exactly the same food as my husband throughout the whole holiday period.

Now I'm 4 weeks in, and making slow but steady progress. My eye half blinks now, my vision is less blurred, my smile is less wonky, and about half my wrinkles have come back (you win some, you lose some  Wink ). The annoying thing is that working on my laptop more than a few hours gives me a headache, so my work has really suffered, and will probably do so for a few more weeks at least. And, as BP is linked to stress, in part I'm seeing this as a bit of a wake up call.

As context, I'm in the UK, female, 38, and otherwise healthy, though I run my own small business so have a fairly stressful life. I couldn't get an appointment with my regular Dr via the NHS so went to a private hospital, which could have affected the level of input I was allowed to have in the decision.

For anyone debating steroids, I hope this helps somewhat.
I wish I'd found this site a few weeks ago for sure!
« Last Edit: 16 January, 2018, 11:02:35 pm by jojo » Logged
Jeremy C

« Reply #1 on: 01 February, 2018, 06:19:03 pm »

I was just diagnosed a few days ago. I have a mild case from what the doc told me. Eye waters and can't close it without closing both eyes. My right side of lips are out of order but not a noticeable droop unless I smile or when I talk then it's veryh noticeable. Doc says could go on for up to 6 months. He suggested no steroids cause I have high blood pressure and am a newly diabetic. I have chose to change my lifestyle naturally with diet and exercise. Assuming that's what cause the BP in the first place. Just wonder without using the steroids, will the effects last longer than normal?
jojo

« Reply #2 on: 05 February, 2018, 03:50:34 pm »

Hello Jeremy,
Sorry to hear that, but good it's a mild case,
From what I know, it might take a little longer to recover without them, but you won't get the side effects from steroids at least!
The cause is meant to be a viral illness / stress, I'm sure the healthy living approach will help. It's good news that this is recoverable!
Best wishes and wishing you a speedy recovery, Jo
Jagd

« Reply #3 on: 09 March, 2018, 03:26:30 am »

I recently got BP last week and although it was a very mild case went the steroid route. I got to the doctor within 2 days of it happening(should've been sooner, I know) and they started me on a pretty high dose of Prednisone for a week. A week later I have most facial control back but there are a few weaker areas around the nose/eye still.

Let me tell you...those steroids work but wow do they do a number on you. Prednisone is one hell of a drug.
Carocuthbert

« Reply #4 on: 13 March, 2018, 07:22:01 pm »

Hello

I am on my 3rd BP, x2 to RH side, x1 to LH side.  My 3rd came on my 7th transplant anniversary this February and I am on Day 19 with almost full recovery except the very frustrating non-blinking right eye.

I am a bit complicated because as a Transplant patient I cannot have all meds and therefore, once I spotted the pain behind my ear and a headache that didn't shift for 2 days, my GP sent me to hospital with 24 hr renal and ENT team to make the decision.  I was given 30 mg Prednisolone and 200 mg Acyclovir (I have and had HSV1 virus present).  This was on 21/2/18 and by 22/2/18 (when I should have been celebrating 7 years of the Gift of Life), I got my 3rd BP to my RH side.

Because the BP had not develop fully when I started the meds, and then developed to the normal frozen dropped face, I started my recovery with those lovely twitches 3 days later.  My face is now fully recovered with the exception of the eye blink but I have lots of itching and twitching going on so hoping that will come soon.  My 1st BP in 2004 recovered in 3 weeks, my 2nd BP took 4 months, and I am on day 19 today. 

I have learned to spot the signs and if a BP is present, I rest, sleep, and fill my body with Vitamin A & B green foods.  I noticed this time round how quickly the Pred bought the swelling down and attribute my nearly full recovery to this.

On a positive note, whilst I know BP can be stressful and soul-destroying, it is recoverable (I have very slight residuals of a lower eyebrow and drooping eyelid from my 2nd BP however you would never know looking at me), when I was in A&E for this BP my bloods gave me my best kidney function ever from my transplant, which I high fived the doctor whilst my face was starting to go !

Let nature take its course as our bodies are amazing and the nerves can regrow and repair.

Good Luck

Caro
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length