Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
22 June, 2018, 05:59:23 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

WELCOME TO THE ONLINE FORUMS FOR THE BELL'S PALSY ASSOCIATION | Charity Reg. 1094039

+  Bells Palsy Support Forums
|-+  General
| |-+  GENERAL DISCUSSION - Open To All
| | |-+  Prednisone withdrawals
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Prednisone withdrawals  (Read 56 times)
DaveEamens630

« on: 12 June, 2018, 09:40:53 am »

I was prescribed 50mg per day for 10 days, this ended on Saturday but since then I have felt unwell.
Tiredness, fatigue, aches and pains and tight chest.
Is this prednisone withdrawals or something else?
Dr told me that it's not but I'm not so sure.
Cheers
Bernadette
Forum God

« Reply #1 on: 12 June, 2018, 04:08:33 pm »

Hi Dave,

Sorry that you are feeling unwell.

50mg per day for 10 days is one option as a dosing regime for Bell's palsy. The suggestion is to divide the 50mg into 2 x 25mg doses.

I was told to follow the other suggested option i.e 60 mg daily for five days followed by a daily reduction in dose of 10 mg (for a total treatment time of 10 days) The hospital doctor who suggested this regime to me seemed to think tapering off was important - more important than the total dose taken.

You can see the NICE recommendations here https://cks.nice.org.uk/bells-palsy#!scenario

I actually took the first 60mg, had a bad reaction to it including moving from partial paralysis to more severe paralysis, and so I  tapered off from Day 2 to Day 10 with the result  that I took a greatly reduced dose. On Day 10 I started to experience severe pain and my recovery started.

I can't find much on adverse effects of suddenly stopping prednisolone. There is this paper which describes respiratory distress  in someone with a pre-existing lung condition, so I think not very relevant really https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16131795

Hope you feel better soon and get some recovery too!
« Last Edit: 12 June, 2018, 06:46:54 pm by Bernadette » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length