Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
30 July, 2014, 12:05:54 pm
Home Help Search Login Register
News:

WELCOME TO THE ONLINE FORUMS FOR THE BELL'S PALSY ASSOCIATION | Charity Reg. 1094039

+  Bells Palsy Support Forums
|-+  General
| |-+  GENERAL DISCUSSION - Open To All
| | |-+  Taste Buds - Constant Salty Taste in Mouth
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Taste Buds - Constant Salty Taste in Mouth  (Read 6809 times)
lulu

« on: 04 February, 2010, 08:34:14 am »

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone else has experienced a constant salty taste in their mouths and if so how long did it last?

I've had it for two weeks constantly now (10 weeks into BP),  even my saliva tastes of salt,  it's not just when I eat.  Yuck! My doctor said it could be a good sign that my taste buds are returning,  or it could be some poor 'rewiring' and it's permanent (which doesn't help!!).
evadnee

« Reply #1 on: 04 February, 2010, 11:24:55 am »

Hi,

I had that strange salty taste in my mouth at about 4.5 months. It lasted about 3 weeks and was very unpleasant. When I ate everything tasted bitter on top of it. I thought it was the taste sensation returning, but now at 5.5 months the salty taste has passed but my sense of taste has only slightly returned at the front of the tongue.
Go figure!

Evadnee
BenRichardson
Regular

« Reply #2 on: 04 February, 2010, 06:22:14 pm »

A salty/metallic taste was my first BP symptom, preceding any facial paralysis.

For me it was also the first symptom to stop, which occurred after a week.

Based on what you are saying, my experience was therefore very different in phasing and duration from yours.
MrsNewMommy
Regular

BP from pregnancy 10/9/09; now 99.9% recovered

« Reply #3 on: 10 February, 2010, 04:58:57 pm »

Hello!

I too have this salty taste in my mouth.  Taste impairment and a rotten taste in my mouth were one of my first BP symptoms.  I am at 4 months now and the strange thing is my taste returned in full quite a while ago (at about 2 months or even 1.5) so why the salty taste now???  The salty taste started a few days ago.  It doesn't affect the taste of my food but is always there when I am not eating.  Sooo weird.  I am also salivating much more on that side of my mouth (the BP side), which is also strange since my dry mouth cleared up around a month ago...  WEIRD!

I really hope this isn't cross-wiring of the nerves and that it clears up soon!

« Last Edit: 10 February, 2010, 05:01:59 pm by MrsNewMommy » Logged
Paul1952
« Reply #4 on: 17 February, 2010, 08:38:37 am »

I have only been suffering with BP since 7 Feb.  On reflection I had noticed a salty taste when I brushed my teeth, but only on the left side of my tongue (the BP side).  The next symptom was loss of taste the day before the BP was evident.  Ten days on and I no longer have a salty taste but food is still pretty bland.
LoBo
« Reply #5 on: 17 February, 2010, 02:44:40 pm »

As you can see by reading the other posts in this thread we are all different in our BP experience.  We are different in onset, recovery and with every symptom though there are certainly similarities.

The sense of taste is affected by the paralysis of the CN VII.  Some experience strange taste at onset, some during their paralysis and some as a residual.  It isn't cause for worry....it's just part of having BP and absolutely normal whenever you get it.

As for suddenly experiencing this weeks after onset...my opinion is that things seem to work overtime or differently during recovery.  Our muscles twitch or tighten and hurt, our eye blinks when we don't want it to,.....and sometimes our sense of taste goes a little crazy as the nerve that controls that area comes alive and that area begins to function.

I'm now just 2 weeks short of having BP for 6 years.  Recently I had 3 days of a horrible taste in my mouth.  I have to admit it frightened me, but it passed...just another residual that reminded me I need to relax and de-stress.  Smiley
MrsNewMommy
Regular

BP from pregnancy 10/9/09; now 99.9% recovered

« Reply #6 on: 17 February, 2010, 08:20:05 pm »

My salty taste is gone today but I have noticed that it tends to return when I am not well rested.  Lately my 4 month old has been going through a growth spurt and his usual solid sleeping habits at night have changed.  I hope once his nighttime feeding frenzy subsides I will get more sleep again!  When I was at my most fatigued state the salty taste was at its worst.  So like Lobo says, we need to maintain our rest and de-stress to feel our best.  I also notice that my face is much tighter when I don't sleep well.  I used to have a lot of tightness in my neck but that is largely gone now except for when I am sleep deprived.  I guess I can't stay up late and watch TV like I used to!
« Last Edit: 17 February, 2010, 08:22:44 pm by MrsNewMommy » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length